Hair Style Tips
Check out these great hair style tips and techniques using some of your favorite Gloss & Toss products. You may need a few extras like hair ties, hair clips, or a blow-dryer but don't worry. These step-by-step guides will help walk you through.
OUR BIGGEST TIP:
PRE-DRY. This is a term you'll hear often in the salon when beginning a blow-out. Hair doesn't really begin taking (or holding) shape until it's about 80-90% dry. After applying styling products of your choice, we recommend blow-drying hair loosely with fingers until it is about 80-90% dry (for most hair types). If your hair requires extra time or attention as in thicker or wavy hair types, you may need to use your styling brushes a little sooner or you may find your own technique that works best. We suggest working in this manner also ensuring the root area is dry prior to using brushes. For added volume, lift hair with fingers and aim dryer nozzle at root area. Lifting hair and drying in this manner helps create more fullness and volume. It should go without saying to monitor dryer temperatures so as not to irritate or burn the scalp.
Next - hair products take personalizing. What's written in the directions are guidelines. Customers should use product amounts based on individual hair types or needs (and experience) and customize from there. Practice makes perfect and you'll find just the right formula that works for you. Everyone's touch and approach is as different as each individual hair type.
The classic blow-out is the envy of many clients. Smooth polished hair, perfected ends, or perhaps just a soft bend for face framing areas. Here are a few tips that you might find helpful when using these Gloss & Toss products. Begin with clean, damp hair.
- Mist 3-4 pumps of Gloss & Toss Prep (more or less based on your hair type) and distribute evenly whilst detangling using the Gloss &Toss Detangle Brush.
- Apply 1-2 pumps of Shine (hair serum) to palms and apply mid-sections of hair to ends and brush through. Again, more or less depending on your hair type.
- If needed apply Root Lift to crown area for fullness and volume
- Blow-dry smooth using the Gloss & Todd Paddle Brush or Detangle Brush depending on your hair type, or a large round brush. Remember hair doesn't begin taking shape until it's about 80-90% dry to loosely blow-dry hair with fingers to remove excess water. Create a lifting action at the root area to give more lift in that area.
- When finished, style or complete as desired and use Flex-Spray versatile hairspray for flexible hold and finishing.
- For fullness throughout the ends, use the Detangle Brush by Gloss & Toss and lightly "tease" under sections of hair lifting sections toward the scalp.
- Beginning on dry hair, use the Gloss & Toss Detangle Brush or Paddle Brush (depending on hair density) and gather hair in a ponytail at the nape area. Leave a little hair out around face framing area to style as desired.
- Spray perimeter sections of hair with Flex-Spray hairspray to keep a smooth finish as you brush. Keep hair brushed closer to scalp for a more smooth look. Hair can be gathered in center or off to one side for a more dramatic effect.
- Gather hair with a hair tie the same color (or close to it) as your natural color
- Use Gloss & Toss Sea Salt Spray (1-2 pumps) through the ends for texture and blow-dry loosely using a scrunching manner.
- Wrap hair around the hair tie and pin as you go. Don't be too concerned with "neatness." A loose/tousled result is nice for this style. This makes a great Work-to-Dinner quick style.
- Finish with Gloss & Toss Flex-Spray for light-hold if desired.
Volume is easier than it seems. It's usually not about perfectly placed hair. Carefree tresses that move with you help create softer styles and results.